We are a bipartisan advocacy organization of Belarusian-Americans working to facilitate a democratic breakthrough in Belarus. We envision a strong Belarusian-American community that positively contributes to the fabric of American society and promotes its democratic values in the global arena.
The Belarus Freedom Forum’s mission is to:
- Provide support to the democratic movement in Belarus
- Create an informational resource about culture, history, and current events in Belarus
- Offer a platform for discussion of U.S. policy related to Belarus
- Facilitate constructive dialogue between Belarusian and American societies
Our involvement facilitated the passage of consequential legislation in the U.S. Congress in support of democracy in Belarus:
- S.Res.658 - A resolution calling for a free, fair, and transparent presidential election in Belarus taking place on August 9, 2020, including the unimpeded participation of all presidential candidates (agreed to in Senate on 08/04/2020)
- H.R.8438 - Belarus Democracy, Human Rights, and Sovereignty Act of 2020 (signed into law as part of Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 on 12/27/2020)
Belarus Freedom Forum actively promoted the creation of the Friends of Belarus Caucus in the U.S. House of Representatives and the Belarus Caucus in the U.S. Senate.
Belarus Freedom Forum was founded in May 2020 after the Lukashenka government arrested and blocked key challengers in the Belarusian presidential elections. Later that year, significant evidence of electoral fraud prompted nationwide protests and a surge of state-sponsored violence.
In response, the Belarusian-American community organized in support of democratic ideals. We contributed to solidarity funds, mobilized in weekly rallies across the states, and committed to informing the American public about the political crisis in Belarus. As part of that broad movement, we have started petitioning the U.S. Congress and reaching out to the American media to stop state-sponsored violence against peaceful protestors.