Support Ukraine and sanction the aggressors
Dear Mr. President and the Members of the United States Congress:
The Belarusian American organizations, representing the interests of the Belarusians in the United States, call on the Biden-Harris administration and the U.S. Congress to take additional immediate actions aimed at the Putin and Lukashenka regimes for the invasion of independent and sovereign Ukraine and the atrocities committed against the Ukrainian people.
We call on the Biden-Harris administration and Congress to implement the following actions:
- Provide increased lethal military equipment and other assistance to Ukraine;
- Freeze and seize the assets of Putin’s closest oligarchs, Russian government officials, and their family members;
- Freeze and seize the assets of Lukashenka’s closest oligarchs, Belarusian government officials, and their family members;
- Put pressure on Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates, and other offshore locations to freeze assets and impose sanctions on any banks that refuse to do so;
- Sanction high-ranking military officials of Belarus and Russia involved in military occupation of Belarus and invasion of Ukraine;
- Sanction Belarusian and Russian financial institutions that provide resources for the military operations of Belarus and Russia;
- Sanction prominent Belarusian and Russian propaganda specialists that spread misinformation and instigate hate and violence;
- Provide financial support for independent media in Ukraine and Belarus;
- Provide financial support for independent opposition media that work against Russian government propaganda in Russia;
- Work with Germany and Italy to remove Russia from the SWIFT banking system;
- Ensure that the United States, European Union, Japan, and other G7 nations impose sanctions collectively;
- Sever economic ties with Russia and Belarus;
- Declare Russia a state sponsor of terrorism;
- Declare the Lukashenka regime a terrorist organization.
We urge the Biden-Harris administration and the members of the U.S. Congress to stand up to the aggressors, the Putin and Lukashenka regimes, that conspired and started the war against the sovereign nation of Ukraine. The aggressor states, Belarus and Russia, must face full-scale consequences for their crimes against humanity. Belarusian Americans stand with Ukraine against the Russian invasion.
Thank you for your attention to this most critical matter.
Belarus Freedom Forum
BAZA, Belarusian American Association
Free Belarus Coalition
Association of Belarusians in America